Our patrol leaders and older Scouts, under the supervision of the uniformed leaders, work with younger Scouts on rank advancement during the year. Additional opportunities are available in summer camp programs. Boys are encouraged to earn merit badges individually or in groups/patrols. Many troop parents are merit badge counselors. We bring in other community members to our meetings to help Scouts with specialized skills. Troop 1344 holds Courts of Honor three times a year in February, June and October where advancement is formally acknowledged.
Troop 1344 is in our eight year of chartering with more than fourteen scouts attaining the rank of Eagle Scout. We have several adult leaders who are Eagle Scouts. Our troop has an Eagle Scout Advisor to help Life Scout families prepare for the Eagle Court of Honor ceremony.
High Adventure Log
- 2021 – Philmont Scout Reservation (still have space available)
- 2020 – Lenhok’sin High Adventure 2020 – Goshen VA
- 2016 – Northern Tier Canoeing
- 2015 – Summit Scout Reservation
- 2014 – Summit Scout Reservation
- 2014 – Philmont Scout Reservation
- 2013 – Northern Tier Canoeing, Atikokan, Canada
- 2012 – High Knolls Trail, Blue Ridge Scout Reservation
- 2012 – Florida Sea Base – Scuba Diving
- 2011 – Philmont Scout Reservation
- 2010 – Northern Tier Canoeing, Atikokan, Canada
Summer Camp Log
Camp Rodney 2018, 2019, 2020 – North East, MD
We sent a group to Camp Olmstead at the Goshen Scout Reservation in 2014 and 2015
Camp Powhatan at the Blue Ridge Scout Reservation in Hiwassi, VA 2012 and 2013.
Troop 1344 is a boy-run troop and operates by the patrol method. The Patrol Leader’s Council (PLC), with oversight from the Scoutmaster, Assistant Scoutmasters and Troop Committee, plan and implement the troop’s activities, including our weekly troop meetings, campouts, and our annual summer camp. Our troop conducts a semi-annual Troop Youth Leader Training program (TYLT). Our adult leaders are trained in Scouting policies, training skills, and safety; appropriate to or exceeding the requirements for their positions and for our outings.
Troop 1344 enjoys a strong parental base. In addition to adult leadership and Troop Committee positions, we have many parents who help with special projects. We welcome and encourage parents to participate in activities, serve as a merit badge counselors and, or become an adult leader.
Troop 1344 participates in the Council’s annual Scouting for Food drive in the fall. Our members have helped support other activities in the community as well. Our troop has supported a variety of projects, both indoors and out: Some examples are:
- Hidden Pond Nature Center dock, erosion control, and trail development
- Pohick Bay Regional Park boat dock re-decking and playground de-wintering
Burke United Methodist Church
6200 Burke Centre Parkway, Burke, VA 22015