2023 Lenhok’sin High Adventure Camp (July 9-15, 2023)
JOIN THE CREW!
Troop 1344 has recruited the initial crew for the Lenhok’sin High Adventure for a summer 2023 expedition, July 9-15, 2023! What is Lenhok’sin? Look at the overview below, especially the promotional videos and photos.
This will also serve as major train-up event in preparation for Philmont High Adventure in the summer of 2024.
2023 LENHOK’SIN: If you would like to join the crew, please register. [LINK TO 2023 LENHOK’SIN REGISTRATION]
Scouts must be a minimum age of 13 years old by September 1, 2023, to participate at Lenhok’sin.
2024 PHILMONT: In you would like to join the crew, please register. [LINK TO 2024 PHILMONT REGISTRATION]
LENHOK’SIN HIGH ADVENTURE OVERVIEW
- What is Lenhok’sin High Adventure?
- Lenhok sin High Adventure is a backpacking and canoeing trek camp. With a plan your own adventure option, each crew is able to personally tailor their itinerary to fit their level of experience and goals. Backpack through the 4,000+ acres of the Goshen Scout Reservation and the 35,000 acres of surrounding state wildlife game lands. Navigate the rapids of the James River in a whitewater canoe. The challenge is for our crew to summit the five mountain peaks and earn awards along the way. Lenhok sin is an opportunity for challenge, excitement, and growth for all Scouts.
- All treks have 5 days and 4 nights on the trail and/or river. Crews arrive at Camp Baird base camp on Sunday. Lenhok’sin provides the food and has a variety of awards for our crew to achieve.
- What Program is Troop 1334 Selecting? Lenhok’sin Trail Trek.
- As Lenhok’sin’s main attraction and primary program, this trek focuses on backpacking through the 4,000+ acres of Goshen Scout Reservation and 35,000 acres of surrounding state game lands.
- Crews will spend five days and four nights on the trail and will have an opportunity to visit up to four of our staffed outposts or other exciting activities.
- Crews fill out a survey prior to arriving at camp. Lenhok’sin designs crew itineraries based on the interest in certain outposts and award opportunities as indicated by the crew. Itineraries can fit a wide range of crew abilities, from experienced backpackers to those who have only been a few times before.
- Outposts & Activities.
- Aquatics. Spend the afternoon paddling around the beautiful Lake Merriweather on a Stand Up Paddle Board or kayak. Take in the breathtaking views and navigate the coastline.
- Caving. Travel to new depths as you spend hours exploring an expansive cave system.
- COPE High Elements. Soar above the trees as you take a leap of faith and balance high above the ground. Grow as a team as you navigate Goshen Scout Reservation s low and high elements.
- Foxfire. Venture into an early 1900s Appalachian blacksmithing forge as you create knives, hooks, and other creations.
- Mountain Man. Shoot black powder rifles, throw tomahawks, and trade with fur trappers from the 1830s as they blaze their way westward.
- Primitive. Discover the wilderness with your Crew on your way to beautiful views. Hike to the farthest peaks and reconnect as a unit as you reach your goals in this unstaffed experience.
- Search and Rescue. Take part in a staff-led search and rescue scenario and learn about how to treat some of the backcountry s most common injuries, including sprains, environmental emergencies, and more.
- Wood’s Edge. Test your proficiency in archery, dagger throwing, and survivalist skills at this medieval homestead.
- Learn More About Lenhok’sin High Adventure Expedition Treks
- LENHOK’SIN PROMOTIONAL VIDEO || “Lenhok’sin High Adventure Promotional Video” || 2 Min Video
- LINK https://youtu.be/7b6QqMc76Io
- 2023 LENHOK’SIN PREPARES YOU FOR 2024 PHILMONT! HERE IS A SNEAK PEAK!
- PHILMONT PROMOTIONAL VIDEO || “One More Mile” Crew Documentary || 2 Min Trailer
- LINK https://youtu.be/MGxaQiufvpo
- PHILMONT PROMOTIONAL VIDEO || “Philmont Scout Ranch – High Adventure” || 3 Min Video
- LINK https://youtu.be/Jxx5L872yVc
- PHILMONT TROOP 1344 – 2021 PHOTOS
- LINK [LINK to Photos]
- What Will it Cost?
- $455 per person, the first 2 adults are free.
- No money is required until April 14, 2023 (early discount price $455 full payment). We will use Peyton Fu’s full payment to secure T1344’s week.
- Can I go to Summer Camp and Lenhok’sin? Yes!
- T1344 usually attends week 1 of summer camp, the weekend after Fairfax County Public School system’s last day of school. The next summer camp dates are June 18-24, 2023, the weekend after the last day of school. Usually Troop 1344 selects high adventure dates that are immediately after the 4th of July holiday to accommodate spending that holiday at home. That usually guarantees at least 1-2 weeks between summer camp and high adventure dates.
- The crew that has decided on July 9-15, 2023.
- Lenhok’sin Crews consist of 6 to 12 including a mini-mum of two adult advisors.
- All participants must be 13 years of age or older by September 1, 2023.
- Maximum age is 18 for Scouts.
- Participants must be able to participate in several “shakedown” weekend outings with Troop 1344 to build stamina, teamwork, and test gear.
- All trek participants must meet Lenhok’sin s medical requirements.
- At least one adult leader per crew must have Wilderness First Aid and CPR/AED certifications.
PLANNING || TRAINING || PREPARATIONS || PAYMENTS || TRAVEL
ADDITIONAL DETAILS TO BE PUBLISHED LATE 2022 / EARLY 2023
LENHOK’SIN 2023 CREW (AS OF NOVEMBER 6, 2022 — INITIALLY REGISTERED)
- —– 2 ADULTS —–
- (1) F, K || ASM, TBD Advisor
- (2) D, G || ASM, TBD Advisor (ages out 3/2023)
- —– 4 SCOUTS —–
- (3) M, Isaac (2nd Class) || TBD Position
- (4) C, Rhys (2nd Class) || TBD Position
- (5) L, Alex (2nd Class) || TBD Position
- (6) F, Peyton (2nd Class) || TBD Position
- (7) — SCOUT OR ADULT —
- (8) — SCOUT OR ADULT —
- (9) — SCOUT OR ADULT —
- (10) — SCOUT OR ADULT —
- (11) — SCOUT OR ADULT —
- (12) — SCOUT OR ADULT —
? The crew has 6 more slots remaining (Scouts and adults)