2024 Philmont High Adventure Overview (Travel Window – July 10-26, 2024 [Expedition July 12-23])
- What is Philmont High Adventure? Philmont is one of Scouting s four high-adventure bases (the others are Northern Tier in Minnesota, Florida Sea Base in Florida, and Summit Bechtel Reserve in West Virginia), but it s by far the most popular. It is also the oldest high-adventure base in Scouting, in operation since 1938! More than 1 million Scouts and Advisors have experienced the adventure of Philmont. Philmont serves 20,000 Scouts every summer.
- Like Florida Sea Base and the other high-adventure bases in Scouting, Philmont offers a variety of different programs, called treks. Traditional treks are backpacking expeditions into the Philmont wilderness.
- Scouts and their crew will pack into the rugged Cimarron Mountains, traveling by foot for 7 to 12 days as they explore the peaks, canyons, forests, rivers, and deserts of Philmont. The crew will be accompanied by a Philmont Ranger for the first three days, but after that, the crew is on its own that s right, the crew will need to navigate all by themselves!!
- Depending on the crew’s itinerary, they will participate in a variety of activities in Philmont s backcountry camps. During the trek, they will hike anywhere from 50 to 120 miles.
- In addition to providing an unforgettable experience backpacking across miles of rugged, rocky trails, Philmont Scout Ranch offers programs that feature the best of the Old West horseback riding, burro packing, gold panning, chuckwagon dinners, and interpretive history with exciting challenges for today such as rock climbing, mountain biking, and sport shooting. It s an unbeatable recipe for fast-paced fun in the outdoors.
- What is T1344’s Program?
- Travel Window: July 10-25, 2024
- Away From Home || Wed – Thu || 16 days / 15 nights
- Expedition Window: July 12-23, 2024
- At Philmont || Fri – Tue || 12 days / 11 nights
- On Trek || Sat – Mon || 10 days / 9 nights
- Tentative Travel & Expedition Itinerary:
- Wed July 10 || Travel
- Thu July 11 || Acclimation / Side Trips
- Fri July 12 || Philmont Day 1 Reception
- Sat July 13 || Philmont Day 2 || 10-Day Trek Starts
- On Trek || Sat – Mon || 10 days / 9 nights
- Mon July 22 || Philmont Day 11 || 10-Day Trek Ends
- Tue July 23 || Philmont Day 12 Recovery
- Wed July 24 || Travel
- Thu July 25 || Travel
- Specific Trek Itinerary: The review of trek itineraries will begin in the Fall of 2023, with selections due to Philmont in the January-February 2024 window.
- Learn More About About Philmont High Adventure Expedition Treks
- PROMOTIONAL VIDEOS:
- “One More Mile” Crew Documentary || 2 Min Trailer || LINK https://youtu.be/MGxaQiufvpo
- “Philmont Scout Ranch – High Adventure” || 3 Min Video || LINK https://youtu.be/Jxx5L872yVc
- “One More Mile” Crew Documentary || 17 Min Video || LINK https://youtu.be/fqORbB2BiEQ
- BROCHURE TRI-FOLD: [SEE ATTACHED TRI-FOLD DOCUMENT] [ALSO LINK HERE]
- TROOP 1344 2021 EXPEDITION:
- PARENTS’ RALLY (INFO SESSION ON 11/13/2022) [SEE ATTACHED RALLY AGENDA INFO SHEET]
- What Will it Cost? Over $3,000 per person (late 2022 estimate || 10% inflation and double fuel prices, adding $500 to 2021 expenses)
- EXPEDITION || $1,575 per person || for Philmont
- PLUS Airfare || $500 per person || to Denver, Colorado.
- PLUS Ground Transportation || $600 per person || crew van rental, gas, tolls
- PLUS Hotel || $300 per person || 2 nights during travel to Philmont and return
- PLUS Misc Expenses || $300 per person (or more for personal souvenirs) || meals, group tourism, souvenirs and mementos
- Can I go to Summer Camp and Philmont? Yes! T1344 usually attends week 1 of summer camp, the weekend after Fairfax County Public School system’s last day of school. Usually Troop 1344 selects high adventure dates that are immediately after the 4th of July holiday to accommodate spending that holiday at home. That usually guarantees at least 1-2 weeks between summer camp and high adventure dates. The crew that forms may adjust these dates to best their personal needs if the entire crew agrees. That decision needs to be made prior to Troop 1344 registering for the Philmont selection lottery in November of 2022 (expected lottery registration deadline is December 1, 2022).
- Philmont Crews consist of 8 to 12 including a mini-mum of two adult advisors.
- Scouts must be a minimum of 14 years old (or 13 and graduated from 8th grade) on the first day of the trek.
- Maximum age is 18 for Scouts.
- Participants must be able to participate in several “shakedown” weekend outings in 2023 and 2024 with Troop 1344 to build stamina, teamwork, and test gear.
- All trek participants must meet Philmont s medical requirements.
- At least one adult leader per crew must have Wilderness First Aid and CPR/AED certifications.
PLANNING || TRAINING || PREPARATIONS || PAYMENTS || TRAVEL
ADDITIONAL DETAILS TO BE PUBLISHED FEBRUARY 2023
0. Planning Activities || See Website Calendar Entry of Each Activity for Details.
- INITIAL PLANNING
- November 13, 2022 || Parent’s Rally
- November 17, 2022 || Parent’s Rally
- NLT December 1, 2022 || Lotter Submission on Desired Treks (dates for travel, expedition, return)
- January 30, 2023 || Crew Election
2. Training Links.
- Philmont Shakedown Guide: [SEE ATTACHED DOCUMENTS] [ALSO PART 1 LINK] [ALSO PART 2 LINK]
- Philmont Preparation Sessions (Videos): https://www.philmontscoutranch.org/multimedia/videos/
PHILMONT 2024 CREW (AS OF NOVEMBER 28, 2022 — INITIALLY REGISTERED)
- —– 3 ADULTS —–
- (1) F, Ken || Committee Chair, TBD Advisor
- (2) L, Clint || ASM, TBD Advisor
- (3) D, Tim || Committee, TBD Advisor
- —– 8 SCOUTS —–
- (4) F, Preston (Life) || Crew Leader
- (5) L, Ben (Star) || TBD Position
- (6) C, Rhys (2nd Class) || TBD Position
- (7) L, Alex (2nd Class) || TBD Position
- (8) D, Carter (2nd Class) || TBD Position
- (9) F, Peyton (2nd Class) || TBD Position
- (10) M, Mitch (2nd Class) || TBD Position
- (11) S, Matthew (Tdft) || TBD Position
- (12) — SCOUT OR ADULT —
? The crew has 1 more slot remaining (Scout or adult)